RE: Updated: octave-2.1.71-2

From: Billings, Paul
Subject: RE: Updated: octave-2.1.71-2
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:22:37 -1000

James,

Good job on the FFTW packaging.  I can confirm identical FFT speeds with a
version that I had explicitly built to work with FFTW.

On the down side, however: matrix operations are slower.  Almost 70% slower
for the 256x256 matrix multiply I just tested.
octave_config_info('BLAS_LIBS') returns a blank string, whereas the previous
build had returned "-llapack -lblas".  I didn't build these libraries, so
they must be coming from Cygwin.  Perhaps they should be added to the
dependency tree for octave?

Incidentally, your long-term goal of getting ATLAS into the
build/installation procedure will be well worth it.  The matrix multiply
when using the above mentioned libblas is almost a factor of 10 slower than
when using ATLAS.

Paul