Re: handle grapics with Document/View design

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: handle grapics with Document/View design
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:41:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, John W. Eaton wrote:

So all the uiobjects are in a flat structure array?  What if the set
of uiobjects is arranged in a tree structure, where one uiobject might
have other uiobjects as children?  Then I don't think the find trick
is enough.  In that case, wouldn't you need to search through the tree
recursively, looking at each set of children in the uiobject tree?

I believe that one method could be similar to matlab's method. Sub-objects are sub-integers. Such as:

figure = 1
title = 1.01
title's font = 1.0101

And the structure would look something like:
figure = {
  id = 1
  title = {
    id = 1.01
    font = {
      1.0101
    }
    text = {
      id = 1.0102
      value = 'foo bar'
    }
  }
}

etc.

That could make lookups reasonably fast and make the tree searchable. The downside is that if you were to get about 10 levels deep, machine precision would start working against you.

Bill

--
"This school has everything... Their periodic table has 250 elements."
  -- Lisa Simpson