Re: NLSCON

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: NLSCON
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:58:31 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that it would solve the problem, I meant to point out that there were options for nonlinear regression in netlib. NNLS is just one that I'd used before. More are available here: http://netlib.org/lawson-hanson/all and I know that in the Lawson-Hanson book that they have what he was looking for.

Bill

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 18-Aug-2005, Bill Denney wrote:

| In addition to this, there are free solutions available from netlib like
| nnls that could probably be rather easily added (I know that we already
| have lsode).

The comments at the top of the NNLS subroutine say:

 C     GIVEN AN M BY N MATRIX, A, AND AN M-VECTOR, B,  COMPUTE AN
 C     N-VECTOR, X, THAT SOLVES THE LEAST SQUARES PROBLEM
 C                      A * X = B  SUBJECT TO X .GE. 0

so this is a very limited type op optimization.  We would like to have
a general NLP solver that is also free software.

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
  -- Aldous Huxley