Re: source control management for Octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: source control management for Octave
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 18:48:28 +0200

Stefan van der Walt wrote:

John,

Octave is currently being hosted in CVS -- but is there any reason why
we couldn't move over to Subversion?

The reason I ask, is because CVS makes it very difficult to work on
projects when you have a slow network connection.  To do simple
operations like "log" or "diff" requires an internet connection -- for
no good reason.

Subversion does not only address this problem, but a few others too
(for a more complete list see http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/apa.html):

* Directories are managed
* Commits are atomic
* Secure access can be given to developers
 See http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/svn.html

I am not sure whether any users currently have access to the
repository.  If none, then I would suggest an alternative option:
Mercurial.

If Octave is hosted in Mercurial, I can have a local repository on my
machine.  This means that I could work on complicated changes, and
pull your changes every day -- handling conflicts as they arise.  Once
I am done, I could simply export all the changes, and send it to you
either as a bundle or a patch.

If we opt for Mercurial, we do not need to lose the history.  'Tailor'
can be used to convert the current CVS repository (with all logs) to
Mercurial.

Whether Subversion or Mercurial, either would be a vast improvement
over CVS.

Regards
Stéfan

I'd like to see such a change as well, with the proviso that the overhead in porting octave to the new version system is addressed. I.E. who is the poor sod who gets the jobs of setting up the server and importing the existing tree.

Another advantage of subversion, is that we might combine it with TRAC (http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/) and get a wiki bug tracking interface as well with an e-mail gateway. In that case the octave wiki should be ported into the TRAC wiki....

Cheers
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary