Re: handle grapics with Document/View design

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: handle grapics with Document/View design
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:23:20 -0400

On 26-Oct-2005, Teemu Ikonen wrote:

| On 10/14/05, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
| > I've given handle graphics some more thought over the last couple of
| > days and written some example code that implements bare-bones versions
| > of
| >
| >   axes  close     delete   figure  gcf  isfigure  line
| >   clf   closereq  drawnow  gca     get  ishandle  set
|
| Do you plan to develop the handle graphics interface further in the
| near future?

Yes.

| The reason I'm asking is that I recently tried the python
| package matplotlib, which I think would be an excellent plotting
| backend also for Octave.

I think that would be a nice addition.  Does matplotlib do 3D plots?

| I'm thinking about writing a basic handle
| graphics backend with it, but I don't want to waste effort if the
| interface is still evolving.

I expect that the code to manage the plot data will continue to
change.  Probably in some significant ways.  But we might be able to
define the data structure and the interface to it so that the
matplotlib backend could be written more or less independently of the
rest of the code.