Re: handle grapics with Document/View design

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: handle grapics with Document/View design
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 04:59:09 +0200

A thought on the Document/Viewer approach to handle graphics:

What should be left for the Viewer to do? This is a decision which
will have quite an impact. How "smart" should the viewer be?I will
demonstrate with an example:
The viewer should be able to set the axis limits to allow for mouse
zoom (an essential feature IMHO).
But should the Viewer be exclusively responsible for the axis limits?
will the command axis("auto") be preformed by octave or the viewer?
should the tick mark locations (and labels) be decided by the viewer
or octave?

If you leave it to the viewer you will get different behaviour
depending on the viewer. However doing it in octave means still more
work ... Also, for gnuplot, the de-facto viewer it means duplicating
on octave all it's "smart" features (such as axis limits and tics) and
making it into a "dumb" viewer. In essence all octave will be using is
gnuplot's terminals and none of it's other algorithms.

If this is the way to go, I have already submit way back a contouring
algorithms to replace gnuplot's contour, and I am willing to submit
axis limits & tic algorithms from octplot once they become stable.

Shai