Re: Octave 2.9.4 available for ftp

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.4 available for ftp
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:21:31 -0600

A few things to note about the 2.9.4 release:

1. In order to have all of the sparse features, you need the ufsparse library. There is a package for Fedora Extras (development version only). If there is interest in a creating a release of ufsparse for FC4 as well (it still has octave 2.1.x, which doesn't need it), please let me know and I can add one. I don't know what the status of ufsparse in Debian is.

2. It appears that the PKG_ADD file in
/usr/libexec/octave/2.9.4/oct/<canonical_host_type> now contains commands with absolute path names (it didn't as of the last release), which are created at the make install stage. This is no problem for someone building and installing locally, but in packaging sytems that install in a temporary path (creating a deb or rpm, for example), the path name could be wrong (I learned this the hard way) and require some post-processing using perl or sed.

3. Changes in octave internals now make octave-forge-2005.06.13 break. I believe the necessary updates are in CVS (I haven't tried to compile it yet), but this means we probably need a new octave-forge release sometime soon.

I have a spec file ready for a 2.9.4 RPM for Fedora Extras development branch, but I am awaiting a rebuild of some required libraries. Hopefully there will be a release soon.

-Quentin