Re: Octave 2.9.4 available for ftp

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.4 available for ftp
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:06:36 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 12-Nov-2005, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| 2. It appears that the PKG_ADD file in
| /usr/libexec/octave/2.9.4/oct/<canonical_host_type> now contains | commands with absolute path names (it didn't as of the last release), | which are created at the make install stage. This is no problem for | someone building and installing locally, but in packaging sytems that | install in a temporary path (creating a deb or rpm, for example), the | path name could be wrong (I learned this the hard way) and require some | post-processing using perl or sed.

The commands are of the form

 autoload ("fcn", "$octlibdir/file.oct");

(with the actual value of $octlibdir substituted when the PKG_ADD file
is generated) so how is it that octlibdir changes when you run make
install?  Are you using a value of $prefix at install time that is
different from the one used at configure time?  If so, I'd suggest
using $DESTDIR for this purpose instead of changing $prefix.  Is there
some reason you can't do that?  Do the package tools assume it is OK
to change prefix at install time?

The RPM build system on Fedora (I don't know if this is true of other RPM-based distributions or not) provides a makeinstall macro for use in spec files that redefines prefix at install time to install the files in a temporary location. I didn't realize that this distinction between $prefix and $DESTDIR existed; thanks for pointing that out. I have modified the spec file to use DESTDIR instead of the makeinstall macro and it appears to avoid this problem.

-Quentin