Re: Dependence of octave-forge on octave version

From: Rafael Laboissiere
Subject: Re: Dependence of octave-forge on octave version
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:50:41 +0100

* James R. Phillips <address@hidden> [2005-11-27 17:34]:

> I am preparing the new 2.1.72 octave release for cygwin.  I notice now that
> most of the files in the octave-forge package are in a directory tree with the
> previous octave  release version (2.1.71) encoded in the path, which means
> that
> the octave-forge files are not (by default visible) within the new 2.1.72
> release, even if they are present.
>
> This does not seem to be the case in Debian.  So I wonder - is octave-forge
> when compiled truly bound to the version of octave installed on the system at
> that time?  Or would it be compatible with later versions, as long as they
> maintain the same abi?
>
> As it is, it appears I will have to release a new octave-forge version to go
> with the new octave version.  Is there any easy way to prevent this happening
> in the future?
>
> Advice/comments would be appreciated.

In Debian, the *.m files are installed in /usr/share/octave/site/m/,
while the *.oct files are installed in /usr/lib/octave/site/oct/api-v13/.
This avoids using versioned installation directories.  The API version
number changes less often than the releases of Octave (it has been
api-v13 since 2.1.65).

--
Rafael