Re: Dependence of octave-forge on octave version

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Dependence of octave-forge on octave version
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:14:49 -0600

Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

* James R. Phillips <address@hidden> [2005-11-27 17:34]:

I am preparing the new 2.1.72 octave release for cygwin.  I notice now that
most of the files in the octave-forge package are in a directory tree with the
previous octave  release version (2.1.71) encoded in the path, which means that
the octave-forge files are not (by default visible) within the new 2.1.72
release, even if they are present.

This does not seem to be the case in Debian.  So I wonder - is octave-forge
when compiled truly bound to the version of octave installed on the system at
that time?  Or would it be compatible with later versions, as long as they
maintain the same abi?

As it is, it appears I will have to release a new octave-forge version to go
with the new octave version.  Is there any easy way to prevent this happening
in the future?

Advice/comments would be appreciated.

In Debian, the *.m files are installed in /usr/share/octave/site/m/,
while the *.oct files are installed in /usr/lib/octave/site/oct/api-v13/.
This avoids using versioned installation directories.  The API version
number changes less often than the releases of Octave (it has been
api-v13 since 2.1.65).

As the Fedora package maintainer, I guess I should repond here as well. I have always just done things the easy way, installing the files in the octave-forge default locations, which causes the situation you described. This means there is a new octave-forge release for every octave release, though sometimes they coincide anyway. However, I see that the Debian approach has some advantages, so I'm considering doing the same the next time I release an octave-forge. Is there an easy way of extracting the "api-v*" string from octave_config_info or something like it?

-Quentin