Re: Successful compilation with MinGW

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: Successful compilation with MinGW
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:49:19 +0200

I think that including a cygwin1.dll in a "nice" windows installer is
not that hard. From what I remember, the problem pops up when you
already have another version of the cygwin1.dll installed you get very
bad conflicts since they seem to relay on version independent registry
entries-- i.e. installing octave+cygwin.dll in a system with cygwin
already installed would break the old cygwin installation.

If we were able to get around this problem, a one-step windows
installer would be possible.

Shai

I quote from the cygwin FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq.html

"You should only have one copy of the Cygwin DLL on your system. If
you have multiple versions, they will conflict and cause problems.

If you get the error "shared region is corrupted" or "shared region
version mismatch" it means you have multiple versions of cygwin1.dll
running at the same time. This could happen, for example, if you
update cygwin1.dll without exiting all Cygwin apps (including inetd)
beforehand.

The only DLL that is sanctioned by the Cygwin project is the one that
you get by running http://cygwin.com/setup.exe, installed in the
directory controlled by this program. If you have other versions on
your system and desire help from the cygwin project, you should delete
or rename all DLLs that are not installed by setup.exe"