Re: Successful compilation with MinGW

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Successful compilation with MinGW
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:40:36 -0500

On  9-Jan-2006, Andy Adler wrote:

| - Good performance on windows requires GCC-3.2. Can anyone comment
|   on whether 2.9.x compiles against that version of GCC? John recently
|   put in a patch so it comples with Gcc-3.3.

There is also currently a bug in the GCC 3.4 C++ string class
implementation (or perhaps just the way it is compiled) on Cygwin
systems that causes trouble.  I'm not sure about the status of GCC 4.0
on Cygwin.  GCC 4.1 will be released soon.

We can't stay at GCC 3.2 forever.  Maybe it would be better to push to
have the bugs and performance problems properly fixed?

| - Dynamic linking on windows creates huge binaries, because of
|   1) each oct file gets a copy of libstdc++, and

This is another problem that I think should be fixed.  I don't
understand why it has not been fixed yet, even though it has been
discussed a number of times on the Cygwin lists.  Perhaps we need
someone to offer to do the work, or provide a patch, or just continue
complaining about it until someone else does fix it, or explains
clearly why it can't be fixed.