Re: Successful compilation with MinGW

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: Successful compilation with MinGW
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:39:45 -0800 (PST)

--- Shai Ayal  wrote:

> This is surprising!
>
> So, Andy, would it be safe to say that providing an octave installer
> for windows is only a "time" problem -- i.e. someone would have to
> invest the time but there are no "technological" problems? would the
> following procedure work?
>
> 1. get current octave & octave-forge precompiled cygwin packages and
> dependencies
> 2. get current cygwin1.dll and binary edit it to replace "Cygnus
> Solutions" as the registry key.

OK, step 2 here is problematic.  First, if you distribute cygwin1.dll, you must
also distribute the source (gpl requirement).  If the binary does not
correspond to the source, then you haven't met the requirement.  A binary diff
is probably not acceptable either.  I think it would be necessary to patch the
source, and build the binary from that.

jrp