Re: Successful compilation with MinGW

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Successful compilation with MinGW
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:57:40 +0100

John Swensen wrote:

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On  9-Jan-2006, David Bateman wrote:
>
> | So if you want a version of octave under windows that won't be
> | embrassing slow on for-loops in particular you need mingw...
>
> Or you need to use dwarf exception handling with Cygwin, or you need
> someone to find out what is causing the performance problem with sjlj
> exception handling and fix that problem.
>
> jwe
>

> Maybe I am being a little naive about how deep the Octave exception
handling is used, but from a pretty minimal glance it appears that the
exception handling is fairly confined as to where exceptions are thrown
and caught.  Would it be an option to somehow implement a "custom"
exception handler and avoid C++ exceptions altogether?

John

The macro OCTAVE_QUIT occurs all over the Octave code to handle the user hitting ctrl-c deep in a calculation. So you have the posibility of having an exception at every occurence of this macro deep within the inner loops of the calculations. This means that all the memory that it allocated in this calculation needs to be properly deallocated. The C++ exception handler does this for us, so replacing it with something else is a major task as we'd need to do our own memory management, or write a garbage collector.

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary