Re: Successful compilation with MinGW

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Successful compilation with MinGW
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:03:43 -0500

On Jan 9, 2006, at 8:26 AM, Andy Adler wrote:

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Shai Ayal wrote:

I think that including a cygwin1.dll in a "nice" windows installer is
not that hard. From what I remember, the problem pops up when you
already have another version of the cygwin1.dll installed you get very
bad conflicts since they seem to relay on version independent registry
entries-- i.e. installing octave+cygwin.dll in a system with cygwin
already installed would break the old cygwin installation.

If we were able to get around this problem, a one-step windows
installer would be possible.

It is not hard to write a special cygwin1.dll that does not conflict.
The easist way is to binary edit it to replace "Cygnus Solutions" as
the registry key.

I have in tool on octave-forge/admin/Windows which substitutes the
key in an existing cygwin1.dll, but I don't think that is the right
approach.

The problem in that Windows will only load one cygwin1.dll, so if
Octave is running you can't run cygwin and vice versa.  I think
the only practical solution is to install octave as part of cygwin,
or at least as if it were part of cygwin.

I wouldn't use the normal setup process because it installs more
stuff than we need.  We probably nmeed a 20Mb download with all
supporting libraries for octave-forge, which is much less than
the 200Mb or so that the current cygwin install of octave requires.

- Paul