Re: Depreciated Functions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Depreciated Functions
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:26:33 -0500

On 20-Jan-2006, Geordie McBain wrote:

| Yes, but spell it `deprecated'.
|
| On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 22:28 -0500, Bill Denney wrote:
| > I'm thinking of adding a warning to all the depreciated functions of the
| > form
| >
| > depfxn: depfxn is depreciated, please use newfxn instead.
| >
| > Where depfxn is the depreciated function name and newfxn is the replacing
| > function name.  Would that be a fix that people want?

Also, please use the new warning identifier syntax so people can
easily turn off this class of warnings.  For example,

  warning ("octave:deprecated",
           "depfxn: depfxn is deprecated, please use newfxn instead");

There is no need to end the warning with a period.

Since all these warnings will be the same except for the names of the
functions, perhaps we should introduce a new function to shorten this

  __warn_deprecated__ ("depfxn", "newfxn");

Thanks,