Re: "light-weight" build of Octave for Nokia 770

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: "light-weight" build of Octave for Nokia 770
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:42:25 -0500

While a slim Octave would be nice, it would require
a significant restructuring of the octave codebase.

There are some easy things to do such as splitting up
liboctave so that e.g., if you do not want to supply the fft
function in your slim octave you can simply leave out the
fft.oct file.

The harder task is dropping some of the octave types.
Currently individual functions which work on multiple
types (e.g., sort) have a dispatch in the function itself
to decide which type it is working with.  These would have
to be moved to use a type-based dispatcher which calls
a different function specialized for each type.

The octave base class would need to be restructured so that
it has no particular knowledge of the various types, which
means methods like int8_array_value can't be part of the
base class.  Similarly for load/save.

Not impossible, but I don't imagine anyone is going to
invest the time to do this.

- Paul