Re: Octave web pages

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Octave web pages
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:04:21 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, John W. Eaton wrote:

Thanks.

Given that the pages have remained essentially unchanged for the last N years, they don't really *require* a lot of work, but it would be nice if someone could help to update them with news and info periodically.

Currently, they are generated from some templates using a home-brew set of M4 macros. I chose this solution so that the pages could have a consistent appearance that could also be easily modified (this was done before CSS).

If we move them to savannah, then we will need to convert to HTML only -- the pages that are checked in to CVS can only be HTML. So I think the first thing would probably be to generate some clean HTML+CSS from the current pages. I can help with that, but if you are a CSS wizard, then you may be able to help me more than I can help you.

I can definitely do some with the CSS and HTML solution. I'd be interested in seeing Jeff Baylor's solution to a consistent footer using javascript. I've got some plane time coming up in the next few days, so I'll see what I can do on the flight and maybe I can have a decent version to show by Monday or Tuesday.

Bill

--
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."