Savannah Website Fixes

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Savannah Website Fixes
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 00:01:16 -0500

On  8-Feb-2006, Bill Denney wrote:

| So, there are a few things that are currently missing from the new website
| that will prevent it from being used:
|
| mailing lists
|   (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/mailing-lists/help-octave/2006 and
|    http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/octave-lists/archive/index.html)
|   I think that the goal is to move the mailing lists, but what about the
|   archives?

I think I found a home for the mailing lists so I won't have to host
them, but I could still use some help with moderating posts from
people who are not subscribed.  The new site will use mailman so
moderating the posts will be simple, using a web form.  I'm not sure
yet how we will handle the mailing list archives.  I've asked to see
whether we will be able to have mailman handle the archive and if so,
whether we can put the existing archive in place so that all postings
are available from the same location.  If not, then we will need
another place that can receive and archive the postings to the list.

| manual (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/index.html)
|   I don't know how to generate the manual, but it needs to be on the new
|   website.

An HTML copy of the manual is included in each source distribution of
Octave.  The web site just needs to get a copy of it that is up to
date.  Should we have copies online for both the "testing" and
"bleeding-edge" versions?

The HTML is generated from the Texinfo source using makeinfo.  I think
current versions of makeinfo allow css files to be specified, so we
might be able to make the manual pages look more like the rest of the
site.  Also, it should be possible to extract the Acknowledgments page
from the manual so we can avoid editing multiple versions of that.

| I also made a few changes to the website after using the link checker.
| The most notable ones were that there are two mirrors that no longer
| appear to mirror octave:
|
| ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/software/octave
| mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/octave
|
| Other changes that I made were mainly for best practices for webpages
| (lower case tag names, etc).

OK.

Thanks,