Re: More Sparse QR

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: More Sparse QR
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 06:49:51 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Stefan van der Walt wrote:

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:19:54PM -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
Or, we could even introduce a "require" function, so that

  require ("PKG");

checks for a __PKG_init__ function, and executes it if it is
available.

+1

I like the idea of being able to load only necessary parts of Octave
(I assume that this will also be useful later, when we use Søren's
packaging -- then a person can enable certain chosen toolboxes).

Since we have only one big flat namespace, this would be one way of
controlling it.  Still a pity we can't do

octave:1> require("signal", "sp")
Imported toolbox Signal Processing as sp.
octave:2> sp.hanning(...)

I recall on the projects page that one of the ideas was that the builtins may work better as part of a structure. If we were to go with this toolbox idea, then it would make sense to me that the variables for the toolboxes would go into that structure like:

octave_builtins.<toolboxname>.<toolboxvar>

This could have the benefit that the octave_builtins variable would be always global and so all of the toolbox variables would be global by default (I think that I read what the problems were). Hopefully this makes sense because I'm not sure that I have correctly followed this thread.

Bill

--
"Oooh, so Mother Nature needs a favor?! Well maybe she should have thought
of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison