Re: Octave MinGW yet?

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: Re: Octave MinGW yet?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:11:23 +0100

Sounds good, even though 550MB is ginormous. Do you think the cleaned up binary will be <50MB?

Cheers,

Sébastien Loisel

On 2/14/06, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
Sebastien Loisel wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> > Give me the weekend and I'll send you a rough tar-ball of
> > my complete development tree.
>
> I replied to that to say that I didn't need it right away, but now I'd
> like to get started. Any chance of getting this tarball?

Depends what you want.. I can give you a CVS build of the latest octave
source with all dependencies. I haven't tried to build the latest
octave-forge yet..

What I can give you is a tarball that you should de-tar in c:\octave,
and then run c:\octave\octave.bat the run octave with the path setup
correctly. You can move the directory by setting certain environment
variables (most notably %OCTAVE_ROOT%). I personally create a
redirection to the octave.bat on my desktop and use the
c:\octave\octave.ico file.

I still don't have ATLAS addressed, though I think I might be able to
address this with a pre-built version for python, and will investigate
soon..

I'd like to try an octave-forge build and will give you the tar-ball of
everything, except ATLAS, probably tonight. Note that I won't have
cleaned-up the tree and there'll be lots of libraries and headers that
are no longer needed that should be removed to make the distribution a
more reasonable size. So this tar-ball is going to be big, probably
about 550MB uncompressed. I also won't do the NSIS packaging till a
2.9.5 release, and with recent discussions on built-in variables, will
probably wait for patches to fix octave-forge for the 2.9.5 release.

Also note that the tar-ball will include mingw compilers. I want to keep
these even when I clean things up, so that I have the same compilers
available for mkoctfile as were used to build octave itself, so I won't
remove these even with a clean-up.

I'll sent an e-mail when the tar-ball is in place on my home server, but
please only those interested in developing with it download it as it is
against an unstable CVS of octave.

Regards
David

--
David Bateman                                address@hidden
Motorola Labs - Paris                        +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary