handle graphics

From: Michael Schmid
Subject: handle graphics
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:03:34 +0100

Hi all

I have download the handle-graphics.tar.gz and studied the m-files.
It seems, that I need some more time for a objective rating.

But some thoughts to the general discussion about "handle graphics"

In matlab, there can be changed each line in a plot. I mean really each line.. also the short lines in a legend can be moved... it is an exhausting work, but it can be done! Each special plot can be programmed in m-files, although a lot of the functions aren't written in m-code ( I think in R14 there is a lot of Java code ... very poor performance..!!!). The first question, if anything in a plot can be done with m-files coding... is there a need to understand
the underlying system (if it is written in c++) ?

Out there are two sorts of people, users and programmer... the users aren't interested in "how is it done". They want to know "what can I do with it". The programmers, should know what c/c++ is! Even if I'm better in m-file coding as in c++, I would write the "handle graphics system" in c++. C-code files with a lot of comments are also understandable ( at least, if not more as my english :-( ... More important to me would be a description where I can found which functions..
I kind of "developer documentation" for newbies in Octave.

More important to me is the compatibility to Matlab. Not because matlab is "great", in my opinion they aren't. In details, there are a lot of errors and it is very slow since version R14! 6 years ago, training and simulation of neural networks were faster than today ... today is everything written in m-files, even the Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm. To analyse this m-files is to difficult and need to much time.. so I write now Levenberg-Marquardt in C++ ( I need it for an actual project, and the neural network toolbox can't be compiled).
!!! Back to the topic, sorry !!!
It's more important for me, that I can take old matlab code and it will run in Octave, also the graphics and that's isn't actually.

If a person say "I would help, if it isn't in C/C++", is this person able to understand this m-files??? I don't think so ... So in my opinion, it isn't very important if an "handle graphics package" is written in c/c++ or m-files.
I must can do with a plot everything I want, only with m-file coding !!
How it is realized isn't interesting for me...

so, now I should go to sleep.. the last 4 weeks, I spent to much time to octave,octplot,octave-gui and such things... it's very interesting :-)
What's about the "@directorys", any plans for the future?

bye the way.. VizIt seems to be great for 3D-graphics.. can such things be done with gnuplot? I'm interested in this ansers

Michel