Re: Octave MinGW yet?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave MinGW yet?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:37:10 +0100

I don't think that the penalty is for disk space I think it's bandwidth and download times. My guess is that most users have a few extra GB sitting around but a 500MB download (let's say even 200-300MB when it's compressed) can take a long time, and I recall someone who couldn't work with CVS well because it is so bandwidth intensive and that would cost him more than he could afford. And for regular DSL at 50 KBps that could take 1.5 hours to download.

Yeah, I have 8Mbps download and 1Mbps upload on my home machine, and if I could be bothered getting and ADSL 2+ modem I could get 20Mbps download. So bandwidth isn't really a problem on my end :-). In any case I said about 550MB uncompressed. As a zip file or tar-ball I'm not sure what that will be yet. However it will be significantly smaller than that.

BTW, I lied about only having to set %OCTAVE_ROOT% to change the location of octave on the disk. At the moment, you'll have to edit %OCTAVE_ROOT%/msys/etc/fstab and replace c:\octave\MinGW with the expansion of %OCTAVE_ROOT%\MinGW. I know how to fix this but it has other implications for the batch file, etc that needing addressing, and I'm lazy tonight I'll leave that for another day..

Cheers
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary