Re: First version of MinGW octave

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: First version of MinGW octave
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:28:56 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 15-Feb-2006, Shai Ayal wrote:
>
> | that's what I though and what prompted me to develop octplot under
> | cygwin. Also discussed previously on the list, it is possible to ship
> | a custom made cygwin1.dll with a prepackaged version of octave which
> | will make it independent of the other parts of cygwin, which window
> | users are reluctant to install.
>
> I think this is generally discouraged by the Cygwin developers.  Also,
> it makes you the maintainer of your own version of Cygwin, and tends
> to annoy the Cygwin developers if your users start complaining about
> problems they are having with your custom cygwin1.dll on the Cygwin
> lists.
>
> jwe

Doesn't the "standard" octave windows installer use NSIS?  It should be
pretty easy to set up the installer to *not* install cygwin1.dll and the
other utilities if cygwin is already present.  I just took the installer
from SF, installed it, deleted all the cygwin-related stuff that it
provides and it runs beuatifully using my normal cygwin DLLs.  I'm sure
there are some points at which compatibility will be broken, but I
haven't seen any problems yet.  It would be simple enough to tell people
who already have cygwin installed to upgrade their cygwin.

John