Re: First version of MinGW octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: First version of MinGW octave
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:24:38 -0500

On Feb 15, 2006, at 11:56 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 15-Feb-2006, Shai Ayal wrote:

| that's what I though and what prompted me to develop octplot under
| cygwin. Also discussed previously on the list, it is possible to ship
| a custom made cygwin1.dll with a prepackaged version of octave which
| will make it independent of the other parts of cygwin, which window
| users are reluctant to install.

I think this is generally discouraged by the Cygwin developers.  Also,
it makes you the maintainer of your own version of Cygwin, and tends
to annoy the Cygwin developers if your users start complaining about
problems they are having with your custom cygwin1.dll on the Cygwin
lists.

Also, this breaks if you try to run octave and cygwin simultaneously.
Windows sees that both are called cygwin1.dll and so only loads one
of them.

This and the symbolic links are the reason I didn't release a new
version of the octave installer.

- Paul