Re: First version of MinGW octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: First version of MinGW octave
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:27:28 +0100

Bill Denney wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, David Bateman wrote:

> Ok I've placed a version of MinGW octave + octave-forge + all
> dependencies on my personal website at

Thank you very much for creating this.

> Things that I know are issues and where help would be appreciated are
>
> 1) Don't use the X in the upper right of the DOS command.exe as this crashes
> octave.
> 2) Need to figure out why octave is complaining about a missing libgmp-3.dll
> for the symbolic toolbox. Help would be appreciated on this one.
> 3) ATLAS as I can't build it under VMWARE. I'm investigating using a prebuilt
> P4SSE2 release from teh Python people, and so hope to resolve this one
> rapidly.
> 4) Need to identify which files can and should be removed. The gnuwin32 stuff
> should be easy to handle for this. The stuff built from source less so.
> 5) fix the failing octave-forge build issues other than symbolic which are
> - extra/graceplot/__grcmd__.cc due to missing sys/wait.h.
> - extra/pdb/creadpdb.cc due  missing mmap in mingw
> - main/miscellaneous/listen.cc due to non posix network stuff
> 6) There are several posix specific functions of octave such as fork that I
> don't think will ever be available in a mingw version of octave
> 7) mv %OCTAVE_ROOT%/MinGW to %OCTAVE_ROOT%/msys/mingw, remove the /etc/fstab > file and fix up the octave.bat file to reflect this. This will make packaging
> easier.
> 8) Get real releases of UFsparse and octave rather than the pre-release or
> CVS versions used here.
> 9) Deal with the NSIS packaging

One more minor bug:

When the pager is used and you press q to quit without showing to the end
of the display, the line saying
-- less -- (f)orward, (b)ack, (q)uit
is left on the screen and the prompt is placed immediately to the right of
that.

That looks like a bug in less.

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary