Re; A MinGW release tomorrow?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re; A MinGW release tomorrow?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:06:29 +0100

Seb,

I'm not really going to have any time to do much in the near future. However, what I'd intended to do to reduce the size

1) Remove all of the gnuwin32 files that aren't needed. This is easy as there is a manifest file if each gnuwin32 package in /mingw/manifest/*-lib.mft for all of the files that can be removed
2) I'd like to make a patch to the octave install that prevents the files
  ./bin/mkoctfile-2.9.4
  ./bin/octave-bug-2.9.4
  ./bin/octave-config-2.9.4
  ./lib/octave-2.9.4
  ./lib/octave-2.9.4/libcruft.dll.a.2.9.4
  ./lib/octave-2.9.4/liboctave.dll.a.2.9.4
  ./lib/octave-2.9.4/liboctinterp.dll.a.2.9.4
from being installed, as these are copies and not links. I can probably drop all of /lib/octave-2.9.4 in fact, as the *.dll.a files aren't used. 3) Make an effort at removing some of the other extra's from the source packages that aren't needed for octave, "ls /mingw/bin/*.exe" should have quite a few in it that can be removed, most notable ginsh.exe, the hdf5 stuff etc. 4) Perhaps remove all of the *.dll.a files. Care needed here as the cln library can only be built under mingw as a static library, and so the cln *.dll.a libraries are needed. This is the cause of my problems building the symbolic toolbox as how do you link correctly a static library in an oct-file. I think the solution is probably to force cln to be linked into octave.exe, and then even the cln dll.a files can be removed. 5) Drop the /mingw/lib/*.lib and /mingw/lib/*.a files, again some care needed to find which ones to drop. 5) There should be quite a few files in /mingw/include that should be removed 6) The home directories in /home should be removed. This should be down just before packaging as it'll be recreated by msys.
7) Anything else that I haven't thought of yet.

I'd wanted to make this part of the build script. If we can drop the *.dll.a, *.lib and *.a files this will gain the most space. But should be very careful what is removed. Don't touch the g++ or gcc files. I'd thought to experiment by moving all of the above an putting things back untill everything worked again. I fully expect that the install might be reduced to about 200MB or under and the installer to 50 to 70MB.

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary