Re: Octave Workshop logo

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Octave Workshop logo
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:12:56 -0600

Bill Denney wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Sebastien Loisel wrote:

Hello,

I've recruited Lee Olson, a KDE artist, to make me the handful of logos I need for Octave Workshop (splash screen, install logo, minimization icon, perhaps eventually also for the web page, all at various scales.) I think the main reason is that the graphic I use on the splash screen is allegedly public domain, but I have no proof of that.

We need to decide what kind of logo we're going to use. One possibility is to use the sombrero, as it is already associated with Octave. However, if people prefer to keep things distinct, we can just go with something different, as I had done with the blackboard.

So let me know what you think and then I'll ask Lee to do it.

One thing that I'd like (if he's willing) would be a better generic icon that can be used for both the regular icon and for a website favicon (the only one that I can find at the moment is http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/octave/octave-forge/admin/Windows/octave.ico?rev=1.1&view=log which I'm not personally all that fond of).

I'd like to see a better icon as well. I definitely don't like the one Bill pointed out, which I didn't even know existed. I also have to admit that while the sombrero has become the de facto octave logo, it seems to me a bit of an imitation of the Matlab logo, so maybe we should consider thinking of a new one. One thing I do like about the sombrero is that it can be generated using octave, and I think any new design should do the same. Ideas?

-Quentin