Re: "oct files" within the embedder

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: Re: "oct files" within the embedder
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:57:27 +0100

| It should be available as a function called Ffoo.

That would be the name of the function in C++.

If you want to call it from the scripting language, then you need to
do something extra to install the function in Octave's symbol table.
For .oct files, this is handled automatically when the .oct file is
loaded.  For built-in functions, this is handled by builtins.cc.  The
code for that file is generated automatically at build time, and the
install_builtin function (defined at the bottom of builtins.cc) is
called from octave_main (defined in src/octave.cc).

Does that mean there's no way for me to add to the symbol table ex post facto other than mkoctfile? Linking against an untouched liboctave/libinterp/whatever, can I populate the symbol table programmatically at run time? What did Paul mean when he emailed me that