Re: octave gset, graw

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: octave gset, graw
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:29:04 -0600

Quentin Spencer wrote:
Daniel J Sebald wrote:
I understand some people want handle graphics, but I won't necessarily want to use that. I've said before to the list that I find simply typing a command like "graw('set size square\n')". Perhaps I'd migrate back to handle graphics but I always thought it cumbersome in the fact that one has to figure out first through parent/child/grandchild what it is they want to change. HG commands were always something I'd save for the very end.

Cumbersome, maybe, but I always found it more intuitive when I want to change a low-level setting than trying to search through gnuplot's documentation. The other motivation for HG of course is "compatibility with the other brand".

I won't argue against either of those points... although I think that in the
gnuplot doc if one sees, for example

octave:5> graw('help set term gif\n')
octave:6>
Syntax:
      set terminal gif
                       {tiny | small | medium | large | giant}
                       {{no}transparent} {{no}enhanced}
                       {font <face> {<pointsize>}}
                       {animate {delay <time>} {{no}optimize}}
                       {size <x>,<y>} {{no}crop}
                       {<color0> <color1> <color2> ...}

it isn't too difficult to figure out the capabilities at least.  Granted there
is some reading involved, but hopefully when you've used the feature once,
seeing this syntax summary jogs one's memory.

I was under the impression that __gnuplot_raw__ isn't going away, but that the change was done to discourage it's use in favor of the high-level matlab functions, and eventually the HG implementation. I think it was partly in response to the number of newbies on the mailing lists trying to do things with the gset commands that could be done with simpler commands using higher level matlab-compatible functions that were already available.

That is pretty much how I understood things too.

Dan