Re: Fwd: Logo conclusions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Fwd: Logo conclusions
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:23:20 -0500

On 25-Feb-2006, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

| I assumed that the "sombrero" logo on the octave web page (and the one that
| A.S. Hodel just sent) is the accepted logo for octave.

A few days back on this list, I wrote

  When I first put the sombrero on the Octave web page (1997 or 1998?) I
  did not consciously think of the imitation [of the Mathworks
  membrane logo] angle.  I just wanted a nice-looking 3-d graph.  The
  sombrero was easy to generate, so I went with that.  I've also never
  really thought of the sombrero as a logo for Octave, so I would
  certainly be in favor of an actual logo.

So again, I just think of the sombrero as an image on the web page,
not as "the Octave logo".

Also, the 2d projection of the Lorenz attractor that is on the Octave
web page looks something like an infinity symbol, at least to me.
Unfortunately, it also contains a lot of fine detail which makes it
not work so well for small icons.