Re: Fwd: Logo conclusions

From: Lee Olson
Subject: Re: Fwd: Logo conclusions
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:35:42 -0600

>On 2/26/06, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> John Swensen wrote:
>
> > I actually like this one, except maybe only have one of them for the
> > sake of being able to see them when they are small.  Also, I wasn't sure
> > if your intent was to make the 8/infinity symbol also be a Mobius strip,
> > but I think it would be cool to make that more apparent.
>
> I thought Lee was just showing the image at different sizes as was done with
> the >previous example.  But now I'm not sure.  Lee, you weren't attempting an
> *infinite* series >with each successive image scaled *1/2* the size of the
> previous (an Octave), were you?  >:-)

Correct, I just wanted to give everyone an idea of what the image
looked at the different sizes that you would use in an application,
therefore, I provided a 128x128, 64x64, 48x48, 32x32, 22x22, and 16x16
version of the image so that it would help everyone visualize what it
would look like at smaller sizes.

It seems that a few more people have joined the discussion, so some
have missed my comments about it.  Sorry for not clarifying.

> Anyway, I wasn't thinking Mobius strip.  Even still, I'm not sure a Mobius
> strip could be >viewed at an angle to cause a figure eight shape.  Here's
> some pictures of a Lorenz >attractor with different parameter settings.  (Its
> a 3 variable state equation, so needs the >right viewing angle.)
>
> http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/fractals/lorenz/
>
> Dan

As for the Lorenz attractor, I don't think it's a good idea for an
icon if only using small dots to build trajectories.  It could work
for a webpage image, but scaling down would make it very difficult to
view the detail in it.

One exception would be this image:
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/fractals/lorenz/lorenzball.jpeg
in which I could build a similar 3d icon from.

The main point is the fact that the icon needs to be something
simplistic in which we can easily shrink down and still be able to
recognize.

~Lee