Re: MinGW version binary gobbledygook error messages?

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: Re: MinGW version binary gobbledygook error messages?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:10:38 +0100

If you are persistent, you could probably make things work with
eval_string, but I think you will end up duplicating a fair amount of
Octave in one way or another.  I think it would be best to avoid doing

Yes, I am a significant distance along that path. Which is slightly perverse. Indeed, Octave uses readline to compute the width of the terminal to decide how to print matrices. In Workshop, readline isn't used for the reading of the input, the history buffer nor the automatic completion. The output is handled by capturing octave_stdout. So it seems like I could cut readline out of the loop completely, except that octave still uses readline to get the terminal width.

So in Workshop, I call rl_set_screen_size(), a readline function, not because we use readline in any meaningful way, but because that's the only way I know of for telling Octave how many characters to use. So in octave workshop, there is a dependency on readline, which is a glorified int pair storing device.

Sébastien Loisel