Re: Compiling octave-workshop

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Compiling octave-workshop
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:56:09 -0500

On  1-Mar-2006, Sebastien Loisel wrote:

| Quentin stumbled onto a problem, which is actually the symptom of a deeper
| problem. I don't know how to get compile and link options out of mkoctfile
| (and I haven't found an octave-config script.) How do I find link and
| compile options to create Octave binaries? If there is no way, looking
| forward, can we get an octave-config like many other packages?

There is already an octave-config script.  I don't know why you would
not have it on your system.

$ octave-config --help
usage: octave-config [options]

  -h, -?, --help        Print this message.

  --m-site-dir          Print the name of the directory where Octave
                        expects to find locally installed .m files.

  --oct-site-dir        Print the name of the directory where Octave
                        expects to find locally installed .oct files.

  -p VAR, --print VAR   Print the value of the given configuration
                        variable VAR.  Recognized variables are:

                          API_VERSION            LOCALARCHLIBDIR
                          CANONICAL_HOST_TYPE    LOCALFCNFILEDIR
                          DEFAULT_PAGER          LOCALFCNFILEPATH
                          ARCHLIBDIR             LOCALOCTFILEDIR
                          BINDIR                 LOCALOCTFILEPATH
                          DATADIR                LOCALSTARTUPFILEDIR
                          EXEC_PREFIX            LOCALVERARCHLIBDIR
                          FCNFILEDIR             LOCALVERFCNFILEDIR
                          FCNFILEPATH            LOCALVEROCTFILEDIR
                          IMAGEDIR               MAN1DIR
                          IMAGEPATH              MAN1EXT
                          INCLUDEDIR             MANDIR
                          INFODIR                OCTFILEDIR
                          INFOFILE               OCTINCLUDEDIR
                          LIBDIR                 OCTLIBDIR
                          LIBEXECDIR             PREFIX
                          LIBEXECDIR             STARTUPFILEDIR
                          LOCALAPIFCNFILEDIR     VERSION
                          LOCALAPIOCTFILEDIR

  -v, --version         Print the Octave version number.

| In the mean time, what's a good way of pulling the compile and link options
| out of (say) mkoctfile?

You can also get some of the same information using mkoctfile --print VAR:

$ mkoctfile --help
usage: mkoctfile [options] file ...

  -h, -?, --help          Print this message.

  -IDIR                   Add -IDIR to compile commands.

  -DDEF                   Add -DDEF to compile commands.

  -lLIB                   Add library LIB to link command.

  -LDIR                   Add -LDIR to link command.

  -M, --depend            Generate dependency files (.d) for C and C++
                          source files.

  -RDIR                   Add -RDIR to link command.

  -W                      Pass flags though the compiler like -Wl,-rpath=...

  -c, --compile           Compile, but do not link.

  -o FILE, --output FILE  Output file name.  Default extension is .oct
                          unless linking a stand-alone executable.

  -p VAR, --print VAR     Print configuration variable VAR.  Recognized
                          variables are:

                            CPPFLAGS      CPICFLAG
                            INCFLAGS      CXX
                            F2C           CXXFLAGS
                            F2CFLAGS      CXXPICFLAG
                            F77           XTRA_CFLAGS
                            FFLAGS        XTRA_CXXFLAGS
                            FPICFLAG      SHLEXT
                            CC            DL_LD
                            CFLAGS        DL_LDFLAGS

                            LD_CXX        LFLAGS
                            LDFLAGS       LD_STATIC_FLAG
                            RLD_FLAG      RDYNAMIC_FLAG

                            LIBOCTAVE     LIBCRUFT
                            LIBOCTINTERP  OCTAVE_LIBS
                            BLAS_LIBS     FFTW_LIBS
                            LIBS          FLIBS

  --link-stand-alone      Link a stand-alone executable file.

  -s, --strip             Strip output file.

  -v, --verbose           Echo commands as they are executed.

  FILE                    Compile or link FILE.  Recognized file types are:

                            .c    C source
                            .cc   C++ source
                            .C    C++ source
                            .cpp  C++ source