Re: 2.9.5 and 2.1.73

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: Re: 2.9.5 and 2.1.73
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:55:12 +0100

Then you're saying that we need gcc 4.1 or newer? I don't want to have
to compile gcc for MinGW just for octave but rather use the current
stable version in MinGW. This leaves recompiling gcc 3.4.4 with the

Well, you read the bug report, so you know as much as I do. But since the patch is against 3.4.4, I would've thought that only 3.4.5 would be fixed, but who knows.

I think this also ties in with the bug that cout.rdbuf() isn't the same in a DLL as it is in the client program. If this is the case, I think this bug must be all over the place in Cygwin and MinGW.

The other thing that John had found (a much earlier email, which pertained to redirecting stdout in each individual DLL) may be a separate, orthogonal bug which isn't actually related to my inability to grab cerr.rdbuf (). However, I fear it may bite me when I try to dup2 the file descriptors.

Sébastien Loisel