Re: dist target, ufsparse and metis

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: dist target, ufsparse and metis
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:29:34 +0100

John,

I'm the wrong side of my corporate firewall and so am responding from
your mail on the website.

For the need for octave itself with all dependencies to build to dist
file, thats a logical consequence of the design choice of having octave
itself build the figures rather than store them. I can send you the
built figures if you like, and with these and the stamp-eps, etc files
being touched, you should get able to force the figures into the manual.

It is normal the NPARTITION disables everything in the Partition
directory. Cholmod still uses the COLAMD and AMD package for the matrix
reordering. The constrained COLAMD and AMD packages in cholmod_ccolamd.c
and cholmod_csymamd.c are only needed to allow metis to place additional
constrains on the graph partitioning.

There are RPM for Fedora that Quentin maintains based on an RPM I
developed that is available at http://www.dbateman.org/?page=octave
though at the moment debian is only linking to a umfpack 4.4 package and
so misses CXSparse for the QR and dmperm function, CHOLMOD for the
Cholesky factorization and the constrained ccolamd and csymamd
functions. Christope Prud'homme  who sent a mail recently to the list
about eigs is responsible for umfpack in debian, and I've informed him
about the need for ufsparse for octave 2.9, and the fact of the new
umfpack upstream release (the version in the latest  UFsparse is 4.6),
so I hope something will be done here.  I have no experience with making
debian packages, otherwise I'd probably try and propose a package,
though I hope the RM spec-file in my package on the site above will give
sufficient information to a debian developer to allow ufsparse to be
built...

I'm not sure what is being done for cygwin, though for mingw I'm
building all of the dependencies, including ufsparse.

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only