Re: comparing version numbers

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: comparing version numbers
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:35:38 -0500

On Mar 23, 2006, at 5:22 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

I changed the version number in CVS earlier today to be 2.9.5+ and the
following test from cell2mat.m is now failing:

  %!test
  %! if ([1e6,1e4,1] * str2num (split (version, '.')) > 2010064)
  %!   assert (cell2mat (D), F);  % crashes octave 2.1.64
  %! endif

Do we really need the version number test here?

If there is a need to compare version numbers, then perhaps we should
have a function to do it that can handle things like 2.9.5+ or
2.9.5+SVN-serial-number (or similar).

Comments?

When deploying software which depends on Octave I do not
want to force people to upgrade.  In order to support
older versions there will sometimes be a need to compare
version numbers.  Alois' NaN and TSA packages in
octave-forge/extra are designed to support multiple versions
of octave and matlab if you want a real world example of the
sort of tests that are needed.*

- Paul