Explanation of Octave operator overloading

From: John Swensen
Subject: Explanation of Octave operator overloading
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 13:20:39 -0600

Could someone give a quick tutorial on how the operator overloads work
in Octave (and maybe add it as a section in the Da Coda Al Fine section
of the wiki)?

For example, I have defined a new type that derives from
octave_base_value called octave_socket.  The problem is that I want to
be able to compare it to numerical values.  I have already tried simply
overloading the operator< to compare against octave_value.int_value() as
well as just a plain int.

I see there are a bunch of macros called OCTAVE_INSTALL_*_*_*_CMP_OPS
and assume I have to do something with these, but haven't been able to
figure out what.

Thanks.

John Swensen