Re: Explanation of Octave operator overloading

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Explanation of Octave operator overloading
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 15:15:47 +0200

Paul Thomas wrote:
I thought that the reaction to del segna was so underwhelming that I was put off from any further work on it.
I know what you mean by underwhelming... Its rare when someone actual acknowledges the amount of effort someone else has put into software (or its documentation). Lots of users just take it for granted that someone else is willing to spend months on end of their personal time to improve the packages they use without even the slightest feedback. I firmly believe that open source developers are paid in appreciation and if you don't pay them they stop working just like anyone else in the software industry. I'm not saying that users need to all send thank letters, in fact the most useful feedback is often a well thought out (and non abusive) criticism. This gives hope of recruiting a colleague rather than a user, which in the long run is much more value to an open-source project.

For what its worth I thought Dal Segna was worth something and a very useful resource for someone starting to write oct-files.

Cheers
David