Re: Website Updates

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Website Updates
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 00:53:47 +0200

Etienne Grossmann wrote:
Here's the attachment
On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 04:23:22PM -0400, Etienne Grossmann wrote:
# # The FAQ's coming! I'll have an improved version of the attachment by
# the 15h (had a paper to submit last week and have another this coming
# week).
# # Cheers, # # Etienne # # PS: Contributions to the FAQ are welcome!
[snip]

Etienne,

Some comments. I don't think John would agree to calling 2.9.5 the current recommended version. The privilege is still held be 2.1.73. So the text should probably be modified to something like

There have been dozens of releases, which the current recommended
version being 2.1.73 (as of 2006/04/30) and 2.9.5 being the current
development release.

* NDArrays were first introduced in 2.1.51
* I don't think fixed point arithmetic can be considered part of 2.9.5. What is missing from your list of 2.9.5 user visible features are
  - Linear programming code based on GLPK
  - 64-bit compilation support
  - gzipped files and stream and consequently support of matlab v7 files
  - other things I've forgotten....

Perhaps you can also describe that the advantage of the "#" character as a comment allows

#! /usr/bin/octave

to be the first line of an octave script and so the script to be executed directly under many operating systems.

Cheers
David