Re: package system

From: Tom Holroyd (NIH/NIMH) [E]
Subject: Re: package system
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 14:17:14 -0400

I'd like to make everything a "private" function except something like
"pkg" or "package" which would then be called by users like this:

  pkg list
  pkg list-installed
  pkg show
  pkg install pkg_1 pkg_2
  pkg remove

Good idea.  Don't clutter the namespace.

The rm_rf function makes me nervous ...

Me too.

By the way, are packages automatically downloaded from the web?  I think for a
first cut you don't want that functionality: it's better to download by hand
and then install (install where?  A specified directory?  The site directory?
Need root?).  Is there an install script that comes with the package?  Then pkg
install would run the script to do the unpacking.
Is there a way to create a package and automatically build the install script
from a manifest or similar?

--
Tom Holroyd, Ph.D.
I would dance and be merry,