Re: XML tools for Octave: XML4MAT

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: XML tools for Octave: XML4MAT
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:39:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Alois Schloegl wrote:

> First the good news:
>
> There is now a possiblity to read a general XML file. Thanks to Paul for
> patching XML4MAT and David for MAT2CELL.CC and REGEXPREP.CC
> If you wants to give it a try: you need
> - need the latest octave (with mat2cell and regexprep)
> - the patched version XML4MAT
> I make this is temporarily available at
> http://hci.tugraz.at/schloegl/biosig/xml/XML4MATv21.zip
>
> An XML-file can be loaded with the command XML2CELL. Paul tested it on
> Octave, I did the test on Matlab.
>
> The good think is, it converts the XML file into one big variable; so no
> complex API's are needed.

I took a quick look at the code you posted from this tool.
In my opinion this code is completely and catastrophically
broken.

1) It parses non-xml files as XML

  Example:
    <xml>v
    <b>v</xml>

2) Is can't parse valid XML

  Example:
    <xml>v
    <b/>v</xml>

  Example:
    <xml tag="<">v</xml>

3) It gives the same output for different files

  Example:

  And

4) It gives different output of equivalent files:

  Example:

  And
    <xml>v<b>v
    </xml>

The use of a regexp based XML parser is well known
to be a fundamentally wrong approach.

For these reasons, I would recommend that xml2mat
is not a good code base to work with.
--
Andy Adler <address@hidden> 1(613)562-5800x6218