Re: [OctDev] Matlab compatiable spline/csape

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Matlab compatiable spline/csape
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 05:38:40 -0400

On May 17, 2006, at 4:51 AM, David Bateman wrote:

However, I have one compatibility issue in the case where y is a matrix or an NDArray. Currently the octave-forge spline function allows an n-by-d matrix to be passed for y where n is the length of x, and the matrix y is treated column by column, whereas the matlab function allows an NDArray of the form d1-by-d2-by- ... -dk-by-n which is exactly the reverse. I can probably support both in the majority of cases, however ppval and mkpp would need to be modified to store and/or determine which is used. Alternatively, just using the matlab syntax would keep mkpp and ppval pretty much identical to what they currently are (with minor mods for NDArrays). Should I attempt to support both formats for NDArrays, or should I just drop the current octave-forge way of treating Matrixs y?

Drop the current octave-forge way. Don't support both because it is ambiguous.

The help for Matlab indicates that the spline interpolation direction is the transpose of interp1, so it is a documented misfeature. Since most other functions operate on columns by default I think the interp1 behaviour is better, however the consensus seems to be that we will put up with minor annoyances such as this for the sake of compatibility.

- Paul