RE: m file cache

From: Billings, Paul
Subject: RE: m file cache
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 09:10:54 -1000

Updating the cache in the dead time after prompt is printed (while user is
typing, etc.) avoids any delay after the user hits <enter>.

If this delay is negligible (as you indicated it probably is), there is no
compelling reason for the above approach.

It sure would be nice if a program could register with the OS as an observer
(of specific files/dirs) and get notified on file system changes.  Seems
like this comes up enough that it would have been included by now.  But that
would probably make too much sense. ;-)

Paul