Re: More octave-forge functions!!!

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: More octave-forge functions!!!
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 20:35:30 +0200

man, 29 05 2006 kl. 14:50 +0200, skrev David Bateman:
> >The remaining functions I consider to fall into two groups. The first of
> >these groups of function in octave-forge which are core matlab functions is
> >
> >  brighten contourf drawnow fill fill3 gtext imread imwrite
> >  legend meshc pareto patch pcolor peaks pie psi quiver
> >  scatter stem surf surfc text view zoom
> >
> >Essentially these are all graphics functions and the graphics handles
> >stuff will either largely change these functions, or simplify them and
> >so I don't think these should be treated until the graphics handles
> >stuff is addressed. Though they should go on someones todo list.
Why do imread and imwrite fall in this category? Do they really depend
on the handle-graphics stuff? I thought the problem with these functions
was ImageMagick.

<brainfarting>
It seems to me that you put alot of thought into portability (edit,
ginput, sound, ...) which is great. My impression is that portability is
very hard to achieve without using libraries designed with portability
in mind. Such libraries do exist for things like sound, image reading,
etc. but that drags in some dependencies. So I guess my question is what
is the strategy with regard to portability?
1) Will functionality be left out due to the lack of portable libraries?
2) Will some platforms (i.e. Windows) be left behind due to the lack of
portable libraries?
3) Should such hard stuff be left to system-specific packages?
4) ???
</brainfarting>

Soren

P.S. I'm quite impressed by your work on moving octave-forge into octave
-- just wished I had your energy :-)