Re: More octave-forge functions!!!

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: More octave-forge functions!!!
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 22:31:38 +0200

man, 29 05 2006 kl. 22:16 +0200, skrev David Bateman:
> Soren Hauberg wrote:
> I suppose that really is what toolboxes are. However, the politic at the
> moment seems that if its in matlab core it should be in octave core. So
> the above idea would require a redefinition of what core means. That is
> the core would be the basic octave kernel with a number of additional
> optional packages. So what is done in the autoconf of octave itself (ie
> search for the dependencies), would be separated out into the autoconf
> of the optional packages.

Okay, I wasn't exactly sure about the current politics. I'm not a huge
fan on depending on autoconf, since that mean that Octave core is
defined at compile time. I think all installations of Octave should have
a garantied basic functionality. When things are determined at compile
time no such things can be garantied. Anyway, I don't have a clear
opinion on these matters as I haven't thought enough about them (hence
the use of the word "brainfarting" in the previous post).

> > Like everybody else on this list I'm busy-at-the-moment (TM), so I
> > haven't checked the status of the package system. However, most of the
> > functionality should be implemented (I can't think of what's missing).
> > It is not entirely platform independent, but I only think minor changes
> > need to be made. I also believe that most of the platform dependent code
> > is factored out in seperate function that does fairly simple things. So,
> > I'm guessing that platform issues should be minor.
>
> I suppose the minimum needed to proceed are example packages. Are the
> ones on your home page still ok with the package manager in octave? If
> so cross platform compatibility can be tested easily enough..

These example packages should work just fine, as the package format
hasn't changed since the first realease of the package manager. At
the moment I'm pretty sure things won't work in windows since unix shell
commands are used. But a quick search for the system command, should
give a clear indication of what needs to be done. (I haven't worked on
windows in 6-7 years so I have no idea of The Right Way (TM) of doing
things on that platform)

Soren