Re: [OctDev] list of primes using D. Bernsteins fast primegen library

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [OctDev] list of primes using D. Bernsteins fast primegen library
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:28:43 -0400

On 14-Jun-2006, David Bateman wrote:

| As I said the final say is up to John, but discussion on the list will
| help clarify his choice.. He hasn't weighed in on this discussion yet so
| who knows.. In any case I'd suggest you resend an updated version of
| your code with the lookup table for small values of p to further speed
| up your code, and see what he says.

It's fine with me to switch to the faster code in C if someone is
willing to maintain it (I don't think I can, though that is probably
also true of the scripting language code we have now).

Also, I think that the following assumption stated in the comments at
the top of prime-gen.c

  ## Since there are no special license terms in D. Bernsteins original
  ## Primegen distribution it is assumed that the code can freely be used.

is not good.  It is my understanding that files with no notice would
not be freely available at all.  Lack of a copyright notices doesn't
imply that something is in the public domain.  I think we should ask
for clarification.