Re: [Fwd: Re: [OctDev] list of primes using D. Bernsteins fast primegen

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [OctDev] list of primes using D. Bernsteins fast primegen library]
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:14:57 -0400

On Jun 14, 2006, at 11:19 AM, David Bateman wrote:

With a change to use a lookup table for small values of p, I think
you've demonstrated the case for the speed-up of your code. The next
question is how many people will really use this function and whether
the additional support costs of C code is offset by the number of
potential users who are impacted by this improvement. The final say is
of course up to John.

I am also not sure how I would decide. There are adavantages (maybe only for
few users - I don't know) but there several drwabacks as well.

The code is small and self contained so this is not as big an issue as it is with e.g., computational geometry codes that rely on QHull. I believe it provides functionality not available in primes such as listing the primes in a given range. Asking whether existing users will benefit from a 10x speedup is a little unfair --- those for whom speed is important may have found another
package to do their work.

The biggest reason not to include it is that the original primegen does not
contain copyright and license information.

Should I better never having made my suggestion :-)

Yes it often feels that way when you start contributing to a new project.
Thank you for persisting.

        - Paul