Re: Updated Octave Book

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Updated Octave Book
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:52:22 -0600

Soren Hauberg wrote:
> Hi,
>   I seem to remember reading some Stallman, where he talked about free
> documentation. I think he wrote (amongst other things) about O'Reilly
> books, and how he thought they where hurting software, because the
> documentation was not allowed (by O'Reilly) to be free. Do you know what
> the O'Reilly politics is when it comes to free documentation?
>
> Soren
>
> P.S. Just to be sure: I'm talking about free as in speech.
>
> ons, 21 06 2006 kl. 12:29 -0600, skrev John Swensen:
>
>> JWE,
>> Have you ever thought about developing the Octave manual into an
>> O'Reilly book?  It seems like their "Science and Math" offerings are
>> somewhat limited.  Then again, maybe you don't have the time.  But it
>> seems like one of you core developers and longtime users could probably
>> get that proposal accepted.
>>
>> John Swensen

P.S. As to some of Stallman's views, I quote Voltaire from "Letter I: On
the Quakers" in his Lettres _Philosophiques_.

"I had more sense than to contest with him, since there is no
possibility of convincing an enthusiast. A man should never pretend to
inform a lover of his mistress' faults, no more than one who is at law
of the badness of his cause; nor attempt to win over a fanatic by
strength of reasoning. Accordingly I waived the subject."

;)