Re: MEX interface

From: Christopher Hulbert
Subject: Re: MEX interface
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 02:16:02 -0400

On 6/22/06, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 21-Jun-2006, Christopher Hulbert wrote:

| but perhaps better
| documentation (which matlab seems to do really well) would ease that.

Hi,

The MathWorks has a large group of employees paid to do this kind of
thing.  They get the money for such activities from large license
fees.  People who come to Octave seem to expect to get everything that
Matlab offers without having to pay for any of it or do any of the
work themselves.  They seem to see Octave as a way to escape the
license fees rather than as a way to gain some control over their code
by having a free (as in speech) environment to work with but that may
still require them to pay in one way or another (by funding
development or contributing code).  I don't see that it is possible
for Octave to be more polished and cover all that Matlab offers unless
a larger number of competent people start contributing to Octave's
development.  Until that happens, I also don't think it helps to
complain and compare Octave against Matlab in a negative way.

jwe

I don't see in the email where I was negative about octave. I realize
it's free and I contribute to free projects where I can. I was just
stating my opinion that a little more documentation on writing the
.oct files would be good.